Thursday, 2 August 2012

Vintage treasure

For my sister's 18th birthday I wanted to get her something special and something that would last, which explains why jewellery is always such a common present. However when I came across this great find in a junk shop in Edinburgh I saw the potential to create something unique that she could take with her to university.   


The original case was lined with wallpaper but I decided to brighten and freshen it up by improving the lining using Cath Kidston fabric. I used a 90% PVA and 10% water mix to stick the fabric down and once this had dried I applied another layer (of 50% PVA, 50% water) on top to help stiffen the fabric. To tidy up the edges I stuck a coordinating ribbon around the rim of the case - a lot easier than trying to fold over the edges.

I'm really pleased with the transformation because the case still retains its vintage charm from the exterior but when you open it up its prettiness is surprising. To continue the Cath Kidston theme I made her a few cushions cutting out scraps and patterns from left over fabric and then bought some items which will add homely touches to any uni room.




No comments:

Post a Comment