Prior to going I'd found a few batik designs that I liked on Pinterest but my composition went out the window as soon as we arrived because they had loads of templates and stamps available so I ended up just free styling. Widya made the wax application using the chanting tool look so easy but the reality was very different... My attempt on a scrap piece of cloth resulted in loads of drippy wax blobs so for speed he waxed my pattern and then I applied the colour but it took me a while to get my head around how the wax resistance would turn out! After the colour had dried Widya completely transformed my piece by jazzing it up with swirls, dots and filling ever space with pattern - whilst I just watched mesmerised at his skill. Finally, I dipped the whole thing in blue dye which completely altered the colours but it provided a multi-layered effect and I am really pleased with the outcome.
If you ever find yourself in that area of the world make sure you don't pass on the opportunity to give it a go because it was one of my trip highlights and now I have my own custom made batik to constantly remind me of the experience.




No comments:
Post a Comment